We help people with mental, physical and developmental disabilities


Who is Excel Society funded by?

Excel Society is funded by Persons with Developmental Disabilities (PDD), Alberta Health Services (AHS), Child and Family Services, Nunavut as well as the Northwest Territories.

Who do you provide service to?

Excel Society Residential Services provides services and supports to people of all ages with disabilities including but not limited to:

  • Developmental delay
  • Brain injury
  • Mental illness amd Mental Health Concerns
  • Complex Needs
  • Alzheimer’s
  • Dementia
  • Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder and Effect
  • Physical disabilities including hearing and visual impairment
  • Several of Excel’s homes are wheelchair accessible. Several homes are adapted for Deaf individuals

What kind of training does your staff have?

Excel’s staff training includes but not limited to: First Aid and CPR, Non-violent Crisis Intervention, Abuse Protocol, Universal Precautions, Positive Behavioural Supports, Professional Documentation, WHIMIS, Suicide Intervention and Medication Administration.

What kinds of programs and services do you have?

Excel Society offers four main areas of services. We offer options and choices in residential services, vocational and day options.

  • Residential Services – Community Living Residences, Designated Assisted Living Sites (DAL), Supportive Independent Living (SIL), Outreach services (weekend and evening supports), Creative Supports (Supportive Roommate, Respite Supports)
  • Vocational Services – John McGee Employment Options
  • Day Options – Gerard Raymond Centre/Clubhouse 55
  • Home Support – help around the home for seniors or caretakers

What kinds of things can a Supported Independent Living worker do with me?

A Supported Independent Living worker can help increase your daily living skills or help you access the community while providing one-to-one support. Typically, this service is provided on weekends and evenings, and will fluctuate as your needs change. We support individuals to gain the skills and connections to help you live more independently from support staff and more interdependently on natural supports. These natural supports can include neighbours, community helpers, employers, and other people that we will support you to develop relationships with.

Where are your homes located?

Excel Society has about 35 homes throughout Edmonton and the surrounding area. Excel Society also has 6 homes in Calgary.

What supports are provided in your community living residences?

Staff assist with personal and household routines, including administering medications and providing personal care where needed. Support is adapted to the individual’s personal care plan or their Individual Service Plan. Independence and community involvement are encouraged where appropriate. Every effort is made to provide a comfortable, safe, healthy, social environment in the homes giving consideration to individual interests, goals, abilities and supports required. Some homes are staffed 24 hours a day.

Are your homes licensed?

All our homes meet or exceed standards by government funding agencies, including Alberta Family and Social Services – Social Care Facilities Licensing, Residential Facilities Licensing Regulation as per the Child, Youth and Family Enhancement Act,  Alberta Health Services, Persons with Developmental Disabilities, and Child Welfare. Excel Society’s programs are fully accredited through Alberta Council of Disability Services (ACDS), “Creating Excellence Together” standards as well as the Accommodation Standards legislation.

How many people live in a home?

Excel has several different housing models, from semi-independent suites where one or two residents share accommodation, to the larger, more traditional group living residences with three to eight residents.

Do I have to live in a community living residence to get residential support?

There are several other residential support models for people who do not wish to or would not benefit from living in a group home. The Creative Supports Services with Support Home (Supportive Roommate) Placements and Supported Independent Living (SIL) services can assist you in finding the ideal alternate living arrangements and supports you require.

The Excel Supported Independent Living Program or Creative Supports (i.e. Supportive Roommates) programs allows a client to maintain or achieve a sense of independence while still having access to adequate supports for his/her needs.

In a Supportive Roommate placement the principle residence is shared by the support person or possibly with a support family and the client. The client learns to make more independent living decisions, share residence upkeep, roommate responsibilities, supportive communication, budgeting (rent and food), and household tasks.

In a Supportive Neighbour placement the client lives in an adjoining suite or adjacent suite to the support person, e.g., basement suite, an apartment complex. Supports are provided on an as needed/identified basis. The person requiring support is typically quite independent and can be alone for a certain length of time without presenting a significant safety risk. As well, she/he will likely be able to complete many or most of the tasks relating to their daily routine with minimal or no supervision. Weekend respite support is also available.

How are Supportive Roommate placements determined?

If you are interested in having a supportive roommate, a Service Coordinator will meet with you to determine your eligibility. Once it is confirmed that this service is the best fit and supported by PDD, a peer match process would begin. The Excel Service Coordinator would arrange for you to meet with potential roommates to determine a positive match. It may require several visits and outings to ensure that the potential Supportive Roommate and our client will have a successful arrangement.

If you are interested in becoming a Supportive Roommate please contact home office at 780-455-2601 and ask for the Creative Supports/Supportive Roommate Service Coordinator.

How do I find out if I qualify for Government Supports?

Please head over to our services section and select the best category and there are more detailed links and descriptions available on that page.

What kind of day options services do you offer?

We operate several day options services, including programs that offer a blend of community and facility-based recreation and leisure supports, and a ‘55+’ program for adults looking for a more relaxed environment for recreation, leisure, and volunteer opportunities. We also offer services for employment training and placement.

Whom can I contact for more information about Intake?

Please call our Excel Intake Coordinator if you have any questions or would like more information in regards to the Intake. Our Excel Society Intake Coordinator can be reached at intake@excelsociety.org or 780-733-0256.